Sunday, October 28, 2007

Sycamore Pumpkin Fest 10k

So after more than a week of an illness, I finally went to the doctor's on Thursday. I was diagnosed with sinusitis. Fun times. Gave me antibiotics and my cough is nearly nonexistent! My doctor said rest and I asked her, so like after the Pumpkin Fest race? She asked if I planned on winning the race, told her no and she said that I can run it. But what I ended up doing was not running all week after Monday's run.

Today was a 10k race today. I was afraid that with my lack of running I wasn't going to do well in it but I'll spoil the surprise; I ran a PR! 55:14 was my time and 55:41 was my clock time. The difference between there are about 1300 people in the race and it took me about 30 seconds to cross the start line.

I compared my numbers last year and I ran 40 seconds better than last year's clock time and ran in an average 8:59 min/mi compared to 9:05 but here are my stats:
Overall finish: 2006 - 553; 2007 - 693
Sex Group finish: 2006 - 128; 2007 - 202
Age Group finish: 2006 - 14; 2007 - 32

Those stats mean that the crowd got a lot bigger. Running is now cool! They say that there are more and more Americans training for a marathon now. That is the ultimate everyday every man challenge.

It was cold this morning; frost on the ground. I might have overdressed again though. I wore my UnderArmor ColdWear long-sleeved shirt. I should have worn the HeatWear instead. The leggings I had were fine. I saw people wearing shorts and I thought they were crazy. It's what I wore last year though.

I saw my editor on the sidelines. I yelled at him a few times before he finally heard me and waved. Then I saw my friend Stacey. She was cheering for me loudly when she saw me. That was pretty cool.

Sunday I'm going up to Rockford and I'm buying UA CW leggings and gloves. Well, maybe gloves, if they have any. I gotta get into my running for the half marathon now!

Today's run: 45-47*, overdressed a bit (UA CW shirt, UA HW leggings)


Best news of all today; I had someone special to see me finish! :-)

0 comments: