Monday, October 8, 2007

Old vs heat?

So I was talking to someone about my race on Sunday and the heat. He had mentioned that he knew someone that ran the marathon and this guy didn't finish. I started explaining that even in my race it was tough but only a 5k, 3 miles. He said "So that's what about 18 minutes?" I scoffed and said "Not for me!" and told him about my finish time compared to last years. His first response: "So you're just getting old now?" or something to that effect. Ouch. Didn't he think that it was because of the heat? That maybe running between 80 and 84 with only one water station on the course might hinder someone's time?

I'm now really doubting that time now. But I doubt that's the case though. There was a 60+ lady who beat my time! And plenty of other woman who beat my time. They're all older. I'm not a speed demon, never was. Thus why I never went to Sectional (though I was 2 spots away from doing so) in cross country in high school. I'm not in it to finish fast but to finish. And I'm pretty impressed with my times! Not once have I gone under 30 minutes for a 5k and an hour for a 10k. DAMNIT, I'm not getting old!

I have a race on Saturday. It'll be cooler. Unfortunately, it has hills so I read. That'll be interesting. It's been a while since I've done those. We'll see what my time is for that race. However, I'll have nothing to compare it too.

I didn't run tonight because of sore calves. Both of them. I think it might be from the dehydration and the extra push I had to give yesterday. I have to run a couple times this week though to keep in shape for the race. Though I just got an email from Runner's World that says: The first cool days of fall, or your first 5-K, can produce a run faster than you did all summer--and sore legs the next day. A mild ache in your thighs or calves is a normal result of pushing muscles past what they're used to. Your instinct might be to take the day off, but research shows that getting blood moving through the muscles helps speed up healing. And that's exactly what I should have gotten this morning!!

0 comments: