Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A running date

I got to run in Fantastic weather tonight. And had great company too. I ran with a boy!! Not just any boy but the one from the race a month back! The one that WON the 5k in 18 minutes!! Yes, that one! Luckily, he knew (cause I repeatedly told him) that I am not a fast runner and I just ran 17 miles on Monday. But we got just over 7 out of it anyway. Took him on my regular route (as you'll see below).

The best thing about the whole run is that I really pushed myself on the last part and was going 7:33-7:40. Which is FAST for me. He could tell the pace we were going too and I looked at my GPS and he was right. I told him that this is not typically me, I was trying to show off in front of him. I kept it up rather well. Then when he noticed that it was coming up to the end, we ran in the road and I told him to take off. He just cruised on by me... SERIOUSLY... Just took off effortlessly. I was amazed. At the beginning I noticed that he was taking more steps than necessary cause of my short stride. He is 6'3" after all so maybe that helps with speed?? I kept telling him as we were walking back that I hated him. He barely had any breathing problems. Not fair.

Then afterwards we talked about going to Ollie's for some frozen custard but it was a tad too cold for it. And we played a round of Mario Kart Double Dash in which I totally whooped on him, like I told him I would. I can pretty much beat anyone in that game. Then we saw a movie; The Time Traveler's Wife which I've been dying to see since it came out last month. It stayed very true to the book and I am very happy with it!

In other news, I am now signed for a 10k 3 weeks after my marathon. What am I thinking? On top of that craziness, I am now thinking of doing the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon on November 7th. But I need to decide on this one rather quickly. My boss just called me today about whether or not I can help the college Foundation with a dinner at 6pm that night with the volunteers. I can't imagine running a marathon, driving back and then standing on my feet all night. I ran 18 miles the day of the dinner last year and I was limping all over the place.

The best thing is that I got to wear my No Meat Athlete shirt from none other than No Meat Athlete himself!! I ordered it from his site when he first announced it. On the back has his website but it's still pretty cool. Since it was pretty cool out, I decided to wear short-sleeves but still didn't look at the humidity. Sweat pretty good! And yes I wore my compression shorts on the run. Hey, it was a date after all! ;-) Hope I didn't turn him off that badly...



Activity
Route:--Elev. Avg:858 ft
Location:DeKalb, ILElev. Gain:+0 ft
Date:08/26/09Up/Downhill: [+269/-269]
Time:06:52 PMDifficulty:2.8 / 5.0
Weather:Partly Cloudy
62 F temp; 93% humidity
62 F heat index; winds E 10
Performance
Distance: 7.26 miles
Time:1:07:49
Speed:6.4 mph
Pace:9' 20 /mi
Calories:777
Map
Elevation (ft)
Pace (min/mile)
Splits
MilePace (min/mile)Speed (mph)Elevation
Gain
actual+/- avgactual+/- avg
18' 46-0' 346.8+0.4+29 ft
29' 03-0' 176.6+0.2-20 ft
39' 32+0' 126.3-0.1-10 ft
49' 26+0' 066.4-0.1+39 ft
59' 26+0' 066.4-0.1-23 ft
610' 04+0' 446.0-0.5-6 ft
79' 26+0' 066.4-0.1+13 ft
end7' 35-1' 457.9+1.5-22 ft
Versus average of 9' 20 min/mile

Posted from bimactive.com

3 comments:

Wes S. said...

Sweet shirt!

When are you going to start doing GPS designs with your running paths?

kilax said...

That sounds like so much fun! And wow, fast pace!

Kevin Westbrook said...

I understand your disappointment when you run with someone who is that gifted. However you demoralized him at Mario Cart and beat him at what mattered most. Well played.