Well, I'm back to it now.
I didn't run at all during my vacation. One idea was to run while I was at Lake Tahoe. That was scrapped when our 3 hour drive turned into a 9+ hour drive when a very heavy snowstorm stopped us & caused a few major spinouts and stopped traffic for 4 hours. So I didn't arrive at the cabin until midnight. And with the sloppy mess on the roads I didn't want to take a chance. So the only exercise I got on the weekend was skiing on both days, both for 4 hours.
I did get hurt a bit on Saturday while skiing. Fell once over a shadow and I lost my footing and I did almost a spread eagle. Pulled my hip muscle & groin a bit. Then on the final run, down a very narrow curvy blue run, I stopped after Luke fell over an edge (I'm telling you, very curvy!) and I waited until he was good and he was walking down the run. I went around a corner and bam, 2 snowboarders in the middle of the run on their butts. No way around them, so up the edge of the side I went. My skis stayed up there but I didn't and I tumbled back down into the run on my butt & back. I got up but not without some pain. I walked down the rest of the slope, while Luke decided to get on his skis & go the rest of the way down. I just couldn't.
Once I got out of the curvy madness, I got on my skis & went down the steep slope to the bottom of the hill & to the car. I immediately got out of my skis and plopped down on the snow & rubbed my right knee. Then I got up and started walking and my right hip hurt. I was limping. Not cool.
The ride back to the cabin was bad. Bending my hip & knee at 90 degrees was not helping things. I got into bed and kept my leg out straight and it felt fine. Brought my legs to my chest and moved my right hip from chest to shoulder and it hurt. Fantastic. This is why I never signed up for my marathon. I took an Aleve. I kept walking on it all evening. I wasn't going to baby myself. Some of us enjoyed the hot tub later that evening, which probably didn't help things.
Sunday was another day of skiing. Again, just the afternoon. I was a bit more trepidious this day. I knew my skis boots were causing me problems (I didn't bring my own & the ones that were rented for me, my heel came up in both skis. Not good. So my left turns sucked because I couldn't really put weight on my right ski. I stayed on the greens for quite a while. The place sucked because it has like 2 slopes for greens. So Luke left me to go to a blue with his sister. I quit soon after and waited at the bottom for him. It got warm & the snow got slushy. Eventually, Luke came back down & told me it wasn't all that bad. So up we went.
It was a pretty long chair lift and I managed to get down it a few times without incident. Luke & I almost had a collision. He was turning right, I was turning left and my ski tips brushed the back of his skis. I think I fell once while up there. but I went down 3 times, from the middle of the mountain to the bottom and then I felt like I was testing fate so I stopped early.
I did end up signing up for the Rockford Marathon that Sunday night. I got to have a discount with my membership to Rockford Road Runner's & early bird pricing. Now I have to get back into running.
I didn't run at all during my vacation. One idea was to run while I was at Lake Tahoe. That was scrapped when our 3 hour drive turned into a 9+ hour drive when a very heavy snowstorm stopped us & caused a few major spinouts and stopped traffic for 4 hours. So I didn't arrive at the cabin until midnight. And with the sloppy mess on the roads I didn't want to take a chance. So the only exercise I got on the weekend was skiing on both days, both for 4 hours.
I did get hurt a bit on Saturday while skiing. Fell once over a shadow and I lost my footing and I did almost a spread eagle. Pulled my hip muscle & groin a bit. Then on the final run, down a very narrow curvy blue run, I stopped after Luke fell over an edge (I'm telling you, very curvy!) and I waited until he was good and he was walking down the run. I went around a corner and bam, 2 snowboarders in the middle of the run on their butts. No way around them, so up the edge of the side I went. My skis stayed up there but I didn't and I tumbled back down into the run on my butt & back. I got up but not without some pain. I walked down the rest of the slope, while Luke decided to get on his skis & go the rest of the way down. I just couldn't.
Once I got out of the curvy madness, I got on my skis & went down the steep slope to the bottom of the hill & to the car. I immediately got out of my skis and plopped down on the snow & rubbed my right knee. Then I got up and started walking and my right hip hurt. I was limping. Not cool.
The ride back to the cabin was bad. Bending my hip & knee at 90 degrees was not helping things. I got into bed and kept my leg out straight and it felt fine. Brought my legs to my chest and moved my right hip from chest to shoulder and it hurt. Fantastic. This is why I never signed up for my marathon. I took an Aleve. I kept walking on it all evening. I wasn't going to baby myself. Some of us enjoyed the hot tub later that evening, which probably didn't help things.
Sunday was another day of skiing. Again, just the afternoon. I was a bit more trepidious this day. I knew my skis boots were causing me problems (I didn't bring my own & the ones that were rented for me, my heel came up in both skis. Not good. So my left turns sucked because I couldn't really put weight on my right ski. I stayed on the greens for quite a while. The place sucked because it has like 2 slopes for greens. So Luke left me to go to a blue with his sister. I quit soon after and waited at the bottom for him. It got warm & the snow got slushy. Eventually, Luke came back down & told me it wasn't all that bad. So up we went.
It was a pretty long chair lift and I managed to get down it a few times without incident. Luke & I almost had a collision. He was turning right, I was turning left and my ski tips brushed the back of his skis. I think I fell once while up there. but I went down 3 times, from the middle of the mountain to the bottom and then I felt like I was testing fate so I stopped early.
I did end up signing up for the Rockford Marathon that Sunday night. I got to have a discount with my membership to Rockford Road Runner's & early bird pricing. Now I have to get back into running.
Another plan was to run on Monday, since that was going to be our only day in San Francisco. However, we had so much planned that I didn't get a chance too. That and we woke up at 3am on Monday morning to leave by 4am to get back to San Francisco before rush hour traffic. So instead Luke & I biked a few dozen miles or so around San Francisco and over the Golden Gate Bridge. We went up a few hills on really sucky bikes that didn't shift well at all. That's the only exercise I got.
I skipped my 12 mile & I have a 14 this weekend. So last night, I wanted between 6 & 7 miles on the treadmill and I got 7.5 in 70 minutes for a 9:20 pace. I'm going to a bar in Chicago tonight so I probably won't run tomorrow and will try to get 14 in on Sunday. I'm thinking Great Western Trail and 7 miles out and 7 miles back.
But it's official. I'm in for another marathon!
But it's official. I'm in for another marathon!
0 comments:
Post a Comment