Saturday, April 18, 2009

5k done!

Got my 5k done. I ran with Brent for the first 1.8 miles. Thought between 9:45 and 10 min/mi pace would be good. Then we started to slow down and my legs were itching! I was actually SINGING! You know you're going to slow when you can sing. So I paused at the 2 mile mark to wait for him and then I said that I'll just see him at the finish line. He said that's fine. The guys behind him were yelling, Chase her! Don't let her get away, go after the skirt! I wore my running skirt and a bright lime green shirt. Too funny!


I turned the corner at the finish line and looked down at my watch and saw that I had 10 seconds before the 30 minute mark. I booked it! Unfortunately, I crossed the finish line at 30:06. First time I ran a 5k in over 30 minutes (before that was 29:05 on a trail race with a sore back muscle). Oh well. The timing was wrapped around our bibs but there was no mat at the start, so they go by gun time. It was 31 something when I crossed. No big deal though. I still got my medal!

I got lots of pictures of odd things though. A 3 person group; a guy had a shirt that say "Happy Birthday Mom." The middle girl shirt said "Hey 60, Screw you!" and the final shirt said "Happy Bday Me!"

Then we saw a camera crew filming an old guy. As I was walking up to the Visitors Centre to stay warm, I saw the crew and this old guy leaving. Then he was I guess near the front of the pack and we passed him walking and the crew in front of him filming him.

Oh my gosh, speaking of passing people. WHY DON'T WALKERS REALISE THAT THE THEY NEED TO GO TO THE BACK SO THEY DON'T CLOG UP THE ONES THAT WANT TO RUN!!! OK, rant over.

I also saw a shirt that said Families Run for Ovarian Cancer ROC Star 5k. I ran up beside her and asked her where she ran the race at and if it's going to be held this year. She said Chesterfield and in September. I asked if it raises money for Ovarian Cancer Research and she said yes. So there we go. If they don't have one up there (I've seen walks, no running though) then I want to do this race!! :-D Ran past my mom's hospital as well.


I feel bad though. I noticed at very last minute that I was passing a husband/wife or boyfriend/girlfriend team and he was reaching for her hand so they could cross the finish line together with their hands held high. And what did I do? I ran between them and the photographer (only one at finish line). I tried to really gun it so they could get a picture but I couldn't slow down any and I couldn't get on the right side of them since there was a pile over there. I feel horrible and afraid that Karma's gonna get me!

After the race, we left on the road that I will leave the park tomorrow during the marathon. So Brent got to see the road I'm going to run on. It's going to be interesting. I forgot about the rolling hills once you reach Clayton. They had their street contruction flashing light signs things out on the road already saying Marathon race tomorrow, proceed with caution. Also had no parking signs on every tree on Forsyth Rd.

Weather update: Weather.com finally has the hour-by-hour up. 57 at the start. 59 at 11 am. With 70% chance of rain the entire time. Poops. Jesse (who is running the half & also from Chicago) says that he's going to wear shorts and maybe a long sleeve thermal shirt. So I'll go with shorts and my arm warmers. I should be good!

One down, 1 to go!

On agenda for today: Sweet Tomatoes for lunch. EcoExpo at the Science Center. Marathon Expo at 3pm. Check in at hotel after expo. Pasta dinner somewhere. Then sleep and early wake-up tomorrow! Probably the same as today: 5:45 am.


Activity
Route:--Elev. Avg:482 ft
Location:University City, MOElev. Gain:+0 ft
Date:04/18/09Up/Downhill: [+160/-160]
Time:07:31 AMDifficulty:1.6 / 5.0

Weather:Overcast

60 F temp; 66% humidity

60 F heat index; winds Calm
Performance

Distance: 3.17 miles

Time:0:30:06
Speed:6.3 mph

Pace:9' 30 /miHeart Rate:173 bpm (Avg)
Calories:336
195 bpm (Peak)
Map
Elevation (ft)
Pace (min/mile)
Heart Rate (bpm)
Splits
MilePace (min/mile)Speed (mph)Heart
Rate
Elev
Gain
actual+/- avgactual+/- avg
19' 54+0' 246.1-0.3158-13 ft
210' 01+0' 316.0-0.3178+46 ft
38' 58-0' 326.7+0.4186-46 ft
end7' 33-1' 577.9+1.6191+13 ft
Versus average of 9' 30 min/mile

Posted from bimactive.com

1 comments:

kilax said...

Woo-hoo! That is a great time! I love all your stories about the other racers. I have never thought about talking to other people! I do cheer them on, but that's about it.

Just the fact that you realized you were in their photo says A LOT about you. Karma's not gonna get you!

Oh... the walkers. Ugh. I did a 10K today and I am happy I started in the front. It was 5K/10K. The walk started 15 mins. later, but even in the front I was passing, so that was a good thing :)

Yay, Sweet Tomatoes! Hee hee. It's one of my FAVE places!

Oops. Wrote a novel!