I think I had my first panic attack. I'm not sure as I never had one before. I was running along on the treadmill, 6.5mph/9:13 min/mi, 2.5 miles into my run, doing just fine, not breathing all that hard and I could feel my heart nice & controlled. I was really impressed and thought this run was going to be great!
Then my mind wandered. I started thinking of the reasons I was in southern Illinois/St. Louis on Tuesday & Wednesday and what's going to happen next week. And that's when it happened. My heart was just started racing, skyrocketed and I started to breathe really hard and couldn't control it. I almost teared up too. I didn't know what the heck happened. I felt this pain in my chest and my stomach felt all queasy. I then started panicking over what I was feeling! And if I was even going to be able to keep going with my run!
My mind kept going trying to figure out what was going on. I thought it had to do with my running but I was running at my normal speed on the treadmill. Not too fast and not too slow. I stupidly kept running. I checked all my systems; feet feeling OK, wiggle the toes. Knees are fine, no pain. Arms are a little tired but that could be from having them so high and elbows out, which I usually don't do. Breathe in and breathe out, deep breaths, work the abs, move the diaphragm, breathe through the pain. The pain started to subside, I started to feel better. My heart was still beating fast and it actually never came back down.
I managed to keep on running. I distracted myself with counting my steps. And believe it or not, I actually made it to 6 miles. I started walking and put my hands on the heart rate sensors on the treadmill. It was 190. WOW. I normally get to 186 on my speed work!
So yea. There ya have it. I ran through, what I assumed, is a panic attack. I must remember not to think about stuff again. Clear the mind and just get in the zone! Which I thought I did but guess it didn't work.
Anybody have any other suggestions as to what it could have been?
Then my mind wandered. I started thinking of the reasons I was in southern Illinois/St. Louis on Tuesday & Wednesday and what's going to happen next week. And that's when it happened. My heart was just started racing, skyrocketed and I started to breathe really hard and couldn't control it. I almost teared up too. I didn't know what the heck happened. I felt this pain in my chest and my stomach felt all queasy. I then started panicking over what I was feeling! And if I was even going to be able to keep going with my run!
My mind kept going trying to figure out what was going on. I thought it had to do with my running but I was running at my normal speed on the treadmill. Not too fast and not too slow. I stupidly kept running. I checked all my systems; feet feeling OK, wiggle the toes. Knees are fine, no pain. Arms are a little tired but that could be from having them so high and elbows out, which I usually don't do. Breathe in and breathe out, deep breaths, work the abs, move the diaphragm, breathe through the pain. The pain started to subside, I started to feel better. My heart was still beating fast and it actually never came back down.
I managed to keep on running. I distracted myself with counting my steps. And believe it or not, I actually made it to 6 miles. I started walking and put my hands on the heart rate sensors on the treadmill. It was 190. WOW. I normally get to 186 on my speed work!
So yea. There ya have it. I ran through, what I assumed, is a panic attack. I must remember not to think about stuff again. Clear the mind and just get in the zone! Which I thought I did but guess it didn't work.
Anybody have any other suggestions as to what it could have been?
1 comments:
Sounds like a panic attack to me. I have them every so often. They feed on themselves because your body is doing something totally strange and that freaks you out and then your body acts stranger and on and on. It sounds like you did the right thing, though. Keep running, don't let the panic take over, and assess your body. Once you realized that everything was fine you calmed down. That's exactly what you're supposed to do.
Post a Comment