Monday, January 5, 2009

Running is my boyfriend

A few years back, there was an image I saw on the interwebs that said "Music is my boyfriend." Back in 2006/2007, I changed that to "Running is my boyfriend" and it became my mantra. Well, I'm back to repeating it again as I have lost the latter. Or maybe not Running but more like "Gym (aka Jim) is my boyfriend" as I plan on spending a lot of time there.

Since I have signed up for an April (hilly) marathon, I have decided to use this opportunity to get into the best damn shape of my life (besides just running).

Running 3 days a week; Monday, Wednesday & long run Saturday. I'm gonna loosely follow Runner's World running guide. But @keeponrunning suggested that since I'm already in shape from marathon training, I should just do 10-13 mile weekly long run, throw in a 15 miler and then and 3 weeks before a marathon do an 18-20 miler and then a taper. Sounds like a plan to me. I will probably follow the Runner's World training plan for during the week.

YMCA Classes. I found a ton of free classes that I am dying to take. Unfortunately, a lot of them are late at night which means I won't get home until well after 7pm. So we'll see how much I stick with it but I'm gonna try!
Monday: Pilates & Stretch 6:30-7:20p. I really want to take this one, I think the stretching will help me out loads. However it's at 6:30p. I did running tonight and then a circuit training loop and still got done at 5:45p. So I might also take the Toning class immediately before that one 6-6:30p.
Tuesday: Get on the Ball 6:15-6:45p. I hope this is an ab workout with the big huge ball. I love those!!
Tuesday/Thursday: Step & Strengthen 4:30-5:40p. I'm not really sure what this is about but it sounds good and I could use the step to get my thighs and ankles in shape. I know it's not Aerobics as they already have a class for that. This class is right at 4:30p so I'll have to hustle to get over to the Y on those days.
Wednesday: Toning 6-6:30p. Depending on the quality of the class I just may take both nights!
Thursday: Cardio Cycling (aka Spinning) 6:55-7:40p. Wow, it is QUITE the workout and it will KICK your BUTT. I even sweat on the back of my hands. LOVE IT!

Tonight I went running at the Y. I couldn't find a spot in the parking lot and it was nearly 4:30p. I thought I would be safe getting there before 5p! I then walked in and immediately checked out the treadmills. It was all full. Luckily, the lady behind the counter said I could sign up early so I signed up for an empty 4:45p slot and then got changed in the locker room. I could only sign up for 30 minutes at a time so I had to book it. I got 3.27 miles in 30 minutes. The person in front of me left early so I actually got on the treadmill with time to spare so I used that extra time for a quick walk cool down. Then I did the weight training express circuit. It works all the right muscles and since it's express you can only do one set at a time so you're never waiting too long or interrupting someone's workout.

As much as I love winter, I'm really not liking this below freezing weather we've had lately. I don't think I can run outside with it being that cold. So I have to do my runs inside. Unfortunately, since it's after New Years when all the New Years Resolutions people have come out in droves. So they take up all the treadmills. I can't wait until Feb/March when they realise that they fail and go home & give up. Then real dedicated people like me, can have their machines back. Harsh maybe but it's the truth. I can't stand the gym in January. Also, they don't turn on the AC either. I have never sweated so much running a measly 3 miles before but only in the summer! It was really hard to breathe too. But I'm gonna stick with the Y during the week and hopefully suck it up for my long runs on Saturdays.

1 comments:

Erin said...

I signed up for Pilates at my YMCA, too! First class is tomorrow. Sadly, my version isn't free.

I wish we had a ball-based class, too. I LOVED the one I took down in Chambana. I miss it so much.

The class I took in the fall was a step & strengthen class and, man, it was a TON of cardio broken up by strength training.

Please let us know what each of the classes are like and what you think about them! You should be in awesome shape after all this!