I totally kicked arse on swimming tonight. Rob gave me his googles and sure enough, they helped so much! I managed to do 4 laps in a row and then a quick breather and then started up again. Towards the end I even managed to change the way I was putting my head back in the water and it helped even more, so at the end of my 40 minutes, I was still doing laps in a row even though I was tired and totally out of breath. I also did 4 laps of arm exercises or whatever and 6 laps of just kicking.
I bought a new bike on Tuesday. It's a Trek 4300, a mountain bike. Weird thing is that it's a men's bike. Once I found that out I was like um, but I'm a girl? Tobie said that I would be too big for a Women's 18" and my knees would be hitting the handlebars. It feels weird to think of the fact that I'm riding a man's. I mean, I'm already guy-ish enough, do I really have to ride a guys bike too? I took it for a spin that night and went 9.5 miles. How do I know that? I bought an odometer that same night. Pain in the ass to install it though. But also very exciting! Since I plan on doing RAGBRAI next year, I bought better tires for road biking that will fit that frame. Now just need a good pair of padded shorts. My ass hurt after a Sunday ride and then a Tuesday ride!
I might be getting runner's knee again in my right knee. During my ride on Sunday, I felt it getting painful. Then on Monday, even while walking it hurt. Of course I ran that night but then iced my knee down. Then today I noticed that my right hip was hurting too (the same one in which was causing my problems last year) and I was limping. Once I took advil everything was fine but that's just a quick fix, not a permanent solution. Only solution is 6 weeks off with NO EXERCISE, not even swimming! Then once that 6 weeks is done, then I can start with swimming, go to biking and later treadmill. We'll see what I do with only 3 days of running though which is what my half marathon regimem
I have a new running partner. Well, kinda. Some guy I work with said that he wants to go rollerblading with me while I run. I told him that my long runs are on Saturday morning around 9a. He said call me this Saturday. Should be interesting! Then another friend said that he can bike with me while I run. It's so good to hear that people are at least interested in doing this with me, even if they don't follow through, at least they're asking about it! I warned them that I'm not incredibly fast; I don't want to be. I just want to get things done.
I was going to take my new mountain bike for a spin in Rock Cut yesterday but that got cancelled. Did do my speed work that morning at the Sycamore High School track but ended up doing it at 11am. Not the smartest idea with the 76% humidity we had that day. First speedwork ever was a complete bust. Completed 1 mile warmup and then 1 mile of my 2 mile workout at 8:17/mi with 1/2 mile jogs between. I hate speed workouts. Tempo runs I can do just not speed. I'm not fast.
So today while I was getting dressed after my swim, I wondered if I should go a triathalon. Jack thinks I should. Not a full one but a version called sprint. Swim 1/2 mile; bike 13 miles; run 3.1 miles. I'm reading a blog on our sister paper, Quad Cities Times, by a woman that is training for her Sprint Tri. She's 33 and has 2 kids. Apparently most women complete their first tri in their 30's. So here's my new set of goals. Halfmarathon this year; Marathon by the time I'm 30; Sprint Tri by the time I'm 33. They have a Sprint Tri in Naperville but I'm sure that's HUGE. I want to do one that's a bit smaller; like the one out in Iowa (the one that this lady is doing). But I'm waiting until then to figure out how the heck do I train for something like that... swimming and then biking? The transistions?!
Speaking of hurt, I think I figured out why I'm pushing myself to all these challenges but that will be saved for another blog when I get sentimental and detrimental to my pysche.
I bought a new bike on Tuesday. It's a Trek 4300, a mountain bike. Weird thing is that it's a men's bike. Once I found that out I was like um, but I'm a girl? Tobie said that I would be too big for a Women's 18" and my knees would be hitting the handlebars. It feels weird to think of the fact that I'm riding a man's. I mean, I'm already guy-ish enough, do I really have to ride a guys bike too? I took it for a spin that night and went 9.5 miles. How do I know that? I bought an odometer that same night. Pain in the ass to install it though. But also very exciting! Since I plan on doing RAGBRAI next year, I bought better tires for road biking that will fit that frame. Now just need a good pair of padded shorts. My ass hurt after a Sunday ride and then a Tuesday ride!
I might be getting runner's knee again in my right knee. During my ride on Sunday, I felt it getting painful. Then on Monday, even while walking it hurt. Of course I ran that night but then iced my knee down. Then today I noticed that my right hip was hurting too (the same one in which was causing my problems last year) and I was limping. Once I took advil everything was fine but that's just a quick fix, not a permanent solution. Only solution is 6 weeks off with NO EXERCISE, not even swimming! Then once that 6 weeks is done, then I can start with swimming, go to biking and later treadmill. We'll see what I do with only 3 days of running though which is what my half marathon regimem
I have a new running partner. Well, kinda. Some guy I work with said that he wants to go rollerblading with me while I run. I told him that my long runs are on Saturday morning around 9a. He said call me this Saturday. Should be interesting! Then another friend said that he can bike with me while I run. It's so good to hear that people are at least interested in doing this with me, even if they don't follow through, at least they're asking about it! I warned them that I'm not incredibly fast; I don't want to be. I just want to get things done.
I was going to take my new mountain bike for a spin in Rock Cut yesterday but that got cancelled. Did do my speed work that morning at the Sycamore High School track but ended up doing it at 11am. Not the smartest idea with the 76% humidity we had that day. First speedwork ever was a complete bust. Completed 1 mile warmup and then 1 mile of my 2 mile workout at 8:17/mi with 1/2 mile jogs between. I hate speed workouts. Tempo runs I can do just not speed. I'm not fast.
So today while I was getting dressed after my swim, I wondered if I should go a triathalon. Jack thinks I should. Not a full one but a version called sprint. Swim 1/2 mile; bike 13 miles; run 3.1 miles. I'm reading a blog on our sister paper, Quad Cities Times, by a woman that is training for her Sprint Tri. She's 33 and has 2 kids. Apparently most women complete their first tri in their 30's. So here's my new set of goals. Halfmarathon this year; Marathon by the time I'm 30; Sprint Tri by the time I'm 33. They have a Sprint Tri in Naperville but I'm sure that's HUGE. I want to do one that's a bit smaller; like the one out in Iowa (the one that this lady is doing). But I'm waiting until then to figure out how the heck do I train for something like that... swimming and then biking? The transistions?!
Speaking of hurt, I think I figured out why I'm pushing myself to all these challenges but that will be saved for another blog when I get sentimental and detrimental to my pysche.
0 comments:
Post a Comment